Snow Sculptures 1
Planning has already begun for Festival 2023!
If you or your company is looking to collaborate with a local artist to create a unique visibility opportunity by sponsoring a sculpture, please click HERE.
Options for sponsoring a snow sculpture:
- Sculpture in Winnipeg
- Sculpture TUQUE AND BOOTS
- Sculpture in Parc du Voyageur
- Official sponsor of the 2023 Snow Sculpture Symposium
For any questions, contact:
It is with GREAT pleasure that we invite you to Winnipeg, to participate in our International Snow Sculpture Symposium (February 14-19, 2023) for the 54th edition of the Festival du Voyageur. This year, Western Canada’s largest winter festival will be taking place from February 17–26, 2023.
For over 50 years, the Festival du Voyageur International Snow Sculpture Symposium has given artists from around the world an opportunity to express themselves through this medium in a spirit of mutual support and cooperation. This year, we are so happy to welcome back the international community to our snow playground. Please note that this is not a competition or contest.
We invite international teams to submit proposals to participate in our Snow Sculpture Symposium. Should you be interested, we request teams to send us a proposed project including a rendered image, description, and team members’ information before November 13, 2022. Confirmation letters will be sent to the selected teams at the latest by November 18, 2022. Your application may be submitted either by email, mail or in person.
Please send us an image of your proposed project as well as a resume for your team members (one resume per team) indicating past snow sculpting experiences. Teams will be limited to 4 people. Please note that the snow blocks provided will be 3m x 3.7m x 3.7m (10x12x12).
We will be able to provide some financial assistance to help with transportation to Winnipeg. Local transportation, meals and lodging will also be provided (for the duration of the Symposium only). Sculptors will be lodged (1 hotel room per team for a maximum of 5 nights) at the Fairmont Winnipeg located in downtown Winnipeg just a short distance from the Symposium site.
Registration form and information about Festival du Voyageur can be found below. Should you require any additional information, feel free to contact us at (204) 237-7692 and/or by email: [email protected]
We’re excited to welcome you in 2023, and to our international friends, we are excited to see you again!
Christel Lanthier Snow Sculpture Coordinator Festival du Voyageur Inc.
- Join the team as an employee, supplier or partner by clicking HERE
- Join us as a volunteer by clicking HERE
- Festival du Voyageur 2023 Call for Snow Sculpture Proposals
In celebration. of winter, and the joie de vivre of the French language and culture, Le Festival du Voyageur
is seeking proposals of sketches. Designs and ideas of snow sculptures to embellish or provoke thought
at our winter festival site.
Proposals deadline: November 21, 2022.
Emerging, or professional artists and teams are invited to submit their interest by submitting fully rendered sketches or images of Maquette of their ideas, indicating which project they are applying for.
Design proposals are open for the following projects (artists can apply for more than one project):
- Park Entrance Sculpture (1 Available): Typically the largest piece in the park, this will require an experienced team of carvers.
- Park Snow Bar (1 available): Great project for mid-career carvers, a long snow wall approx. 3-4ft tall that can be caved in play with the light.
- Snow Playground Slide (2 available) A snow block that is approx. 10x10x12 built at an angle including 2 culverts as slide for children to use in the park.
- Interactive Snow Playground (1 or more) snow structures that can be interacted with for youth of all ages. Safety must be taken into account. Must not include counter levers, over hanging pieces, or any snow that is climbable, or that can fall on a park patron.
- 8x8x8 Snow Sculpture in Voyageur Park (2-4 available): proposals for embellishment pieces within the park. This is great for a team of 2 members or a single experienced artist. Please indicate in proposal where your ideal location would be within the park. Great for emerging artists.
- 4x4x4 Snow Sculpture in Voyageur Park (4-6 available): proposals for embellishment pieces within the park. This is great for a team of 2 members. Please indicate in proposal where your ideal location would be within the park. Great for emerging artists.
- Commercial Public Art Blocks, 8x8x8, 10x10x12 or 20x10x12 (many available, based on sponsors) Teams of 3-4. These sculptures are sponsored by commercial companies in Winnipeg. If you have a company that would like to support your project, please let us know so we can communicate with them as well (not required).
We are excited and happy to hear all your project ideas. Please reach out for more information and details about each project that is available prior to applying to ensure successful submissions.
Should you require any additional information, feel free to contact us at (204) 237-7692 and/or by e-mail: [email protected]
Snow Sculpture Coordinator
We’re bringing Festival du Voyageur to your homes this year, and a big part of that is the Festival à la maison video series presented by l'Université de Saint-Boniface.
Learn how to make a snow sculpture in episode one and create some masterpieces with our family by clicking HERE!
Have a second look at all of our 2022 snow sculptures in photos below!