Recipe for 8 to 10 people
- 2 ½ cups of yellow split peas
2 smoked pork knuckles
2 cups of carrots, diced
2 cups of yellow onion, diced
2 cups of celery, diced
2 teaspoons of dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tablespoon of salt
1 pinch of ground black pepper, or to taste
3 L of poultry stock
- Place the split peas, smoked pork knuckles, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and add the chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil and skim off any foam with a spoon.
- Lower the temperature; place a lid on the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes
- Add the carrots, onion, celery and cook for another 45 minutes until the peas are tender and starting to mash.
- Remove pork knuckles from soup; remove the meat from the bone, chop the meat and return it to the pan.